Thursday, June 11, 2009

Councilmember Jarvis Johnson makes statement regarding Brock Park: "I am not in support of the closing of Brock Park and will never be"

For Immediate Release

June 11, 2009

Contact(s)

The Office of Councilmember Johnson

832-393-3009

Jesse Muhammad

832-978-0939


Press Statement From Houston Councilmember Jarvis Johnson Regarding Brock Park


HOUSTON, Texas— The Amendment as proposed to me was to be a detailed study of all City of Houston Parks for the purpose of reviewing revenues. I was at no time consulted regarding the closure of Brock Park either directly or indirectly as a result of this survey. To the contrary I have been very supportive of Parks that provide not only environmental health but an aid to our children and all the constituents of District B. I believe this administration has shown a commitment to Parks and Recreation within the City of Houston. Brock Park has been in existence in my District since 1952 as the first golf course to be managed by the City of Houston. It is very important to my constituents and therefore very important to me.

I would like to make it clear that I am not in support of the closing of Brock Park and will never be!! Brock Park Golf Course serves as an attractive centerpiece to spur good sustainable housing development that will encourage commercial development. All this coupled together brings the northeast side of town into a new era of revitalization which enhances the quality of life for all of its residents. As a Council Member of District B I am the voice for my constituents at City Hall, I hold it as one of my most sacred duties as a public servant. I am always supportive of research to the study proposed yesterday during the presentation of Budget Amendments, no matter how displaced it was.

In the future I would encourage anyone who would like to take part in something that may adversely affect a community and specifically the constituents of District B to consult with me, speak to the community; We cannot be so irresponsible do not blindly act without getting the input from the community.

“It is always important to me as a city official to listen to the concerns and ideas of my constituents,” said Councilmember Johnson. “The goal is to support and empower residents to take responsibility in building up their own neighborhoods. Brock Park is much more then a Golf Course to my constituents. I will not sit idly by and allow it be destroyed.

For Media Interviews call 832-393-3009 or 832-978-0939

###

No comments: