Statement of Council Member Jarvis Johnson
Houston City Council, District B
For Immediate Release
January 13, 2010
It is with great sadness that I send this message. At this moment, thousands of our neighbors in Haiti are without shelter, searching for family and friends, and dealing with the emotional pains of a natural disaster. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Haiti. I support President Obama as the United States provides “swift, coordinated, and aggressive efforts to save lives” and to restore Haiti.
We in Houston are familiar with a natural disaster as we experienced Hurricane Ike in 2008. We opened our arms to our neighbors from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. We know what it feels like to lose shelter, access to energy resources, to be in need of food, water, and ice. We know what it feels like to be in despair. Just like we know the impacts of devastation, we also know the power of hope and prayer. So, during this time of tragedy for our Haitian neighbors, I am urging us to change our focus from our daily routines to reach out to our fellow human beings in Haiti. At this time the extent of the damage from the earthquake has not been fully measured, but reports are saying that thousands have died and that most of Port-au-Prince is destroyed.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. reminded us that “all life is interrelated. The agony of the poor impoverishes the rich…. Whatever affects one, directly affects all indirectly.”Yes, we are in tough economic times in Houston and across this nation, but we also have more resources than the people in Haiti and a more developed infrastructure. Our financial woes can’t compare to the financial hardship and devastation of our neighbors in Haiti. I am therefore asking for your full support.
The people in Haiti need our thoughts and prayers. They need our financial and physical support. Please help today by contributing funds to one of the relief efforts below:
- Haitian Multicultural Association (Houston) - http://haitianmulticulturalassociation.net/ (713) 271-8988 - email@example.com - 9819 Bissonnet Ste. #F Houston, Texas 77036
- The American Red Cross - http://www.redcross.org/en/ or (800)-257-7575
- Wyclef Jean's foundation, Yele Haiti. Text "Yele" to 501501 and $5 will be charged to your phone bill and given to relief projects through the organization
- Operation USA
- State Department –http://www.state.gov/ or (888) 407-4747
- Ben Stiller's Stillerstrong campaign will be temporarily diverting all donations to support the Haiti relief efforts
- The UN World Food Programme is gathering all available resources to deliver food to the recently homeless and impoverished in Haiti. Donate now to help bring food to those affected as quickly and efficiently as possible. The Baptist Haiti Mission is operating an 82-bed hospital that is "overflowing with injured." Donate online to BHM and 100% of your donation will go to the relief effort.
May God bless the people of Haiti and those working on their behalf.
Thank you very much.